Wednesday, December 13, 2006

What hump?

OK, you kids, get away from those journalistic framing controls right now:

Peter Boyle of 'Everybody Loves Raymond' dies

Peter Boyle dies
Philadelphia-born actor known for playing curmudgeonly father on TV's 'Everybody Loves Raymond' dead at 71.

Sigh. That should put an end to the myth that CNN and Fox somehow represent different poles of some journalistic spectrum -- at least, when it comes to orienting their coverage toward generational sensibilities of cultural significance. (OK. There is a slight difference. CNN, using AP, gets "Young Frankenstein" into the lede. Fox waits until the fourth graf.)

Just a reminder that pop-culture references always come with a risk. Assumptions about what "everybody knows" or "everybody loves" are always going to leave somebody out.

Enough of that. I'm going to go make espresso.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Reminder: The whippersnappers who're writing these heads were not born when "Young Frankenstein" came out. And the slots checking behind them weren't either. They haven't a clue.

9:34 PM, December 13, 2006  
Blogger Peter Fisk said...


Mr. Coffee spokesman
Joseph P. DiMaggio, 84

2:01 AM, December 14, 2006  
Blogger Strayhorn said...

"Young Frankenstein?" Bah. I'll always remember him as Wizard in "Taxi Driver."

8:45 AM, December 14, 2006  
Blogger Denise Nader said...

Hi.
I agree about the risk of throwing pop-cultural references in a text.

However, I was born on 71, and a couple of years after that, Young Frankenstein was released. Since I was born and raised in Ecuador and we used to get the movies a little late, I didn't watch it then. Peter Boyle's known here, in Ecuador, for his "Frank Barone" role. I also watched him on that X-Files episode... impressive performance!

So here's the thing: the difference between a movie role and a popular sitcom role is pretty obvious to me: the show's been running for, say, 7 years now. It's a popular show. I don't watch it, but I've seen it. I don't like it, but I loved Peter Boyle as Frank Barone. Plus, he's been Frank Barone for seven years in a row and it was his last role.

I could write about the news sources like CNN and Fox not being for the american public only, globalized world and all that jazz, but it's saturday, I'm working and I love espresso too, so cheers.

12:04 PM, December 16, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home