Saturday, May 22, 2010

Prescriptive retaliation

My, my, my. Let's look at how the other side lives for a bit. Not the "New World Order" bit; that's for another discussion, in case you aren't familiar with any of those flavors of deep-catalog paranoia. Have a look at the No. 3 story: "Ariz. taking on accented teachers":

After passing the nation's toughest state immigration enforcement law, Arizona's school officials are now cracking down on teachers with heavy accents.

The Arizona Department of Education is sending evaluators to audit teachers and their English speaking skills to make sure districts are complying with state and federal laws.

Teachers who are not fluent in English, have a heavy accent or do not speak grammatically correct will be temporarily reassigned.

Heh. Well, being from the land of heavy accents, where many people do not speak grammatically correct, I look forward to seeing how this one plays out.

Actually, if this story is true, I'd like to see one of the notionally professional news organizations start explaining how it's going to work. I'm getting a bit worried that coverage of the loonies is left up to the loonies themselves.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger . said...

I misread "taking on." I spent the best part of my adult life living on a sailboat in the Florida Keys: taking on water (not good), taking on supplies (good), taking on passengers (could go either way, depending on whether they brought their own rum).

9:10 AM, May 23, 2010  
Blogger Nick said...

"... grammatically correctly ..."

3:17 PM, May 23, 2010  
Blogger The Ridger, FCD said...

The WaPo has a mention in the school blog the Answer Sheet and refers readers to the Wall Sttreet Journal.

9:11 AM, May 25, 2010  

Post a Comment

<< Home