Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Hot tub fed clams up

I'm not suggesting this one's an authentic crash blossom, but it has enough collisions of different types of hed dialect to warrant a moment's amusement.

My first reaction to "fed clams up," alas, is "fed clams up the what?" I've gotten pretty used to "feds," which even in the broadsheets more or less means any federal agency, but the singular form is a little jarring. (And evidently it's not the Federal Reserve.) And "hot tub fed," 823G or not, is the sort of thing I'd expect in a redtop, not a US tabloid.*

Just making sure no one's blood goes below a rolling boil before Election Day, I guess.

* Given their red-blooded patriotism, it's always fun to see the Murdoch products slipping into the jargon of the motherland.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Ed Latham said...

Those Fed clams are all-American though: quite unlike the Whitstable native oyster.

3:59 AM, April 18, 2012  
Blogger The Ridger, FCD said...

Hmmm. Probably because I am one, but "fed" means "federal employee" to me while "feds" usually means the government...

10:11 AM, April 21, 2012  

Post a Comment

<< Home